C64 Breadbin Repair

Few weeks ago I purchased a new Commodore C64 with Assy. Board 250407 Rev. B from 1983. My guess was that this machine had not been switched on for decades ;-)

Nevertheless the visual conditions from this nearly 40 years old computer were quite good:

Top view

Rear view

Back view with connectors

Side view

After turning on the C64 this output was displayed:

colorful mix of letters 

Mhmm, where could be the error? A good starting point is to measure the power inputs on the board:

Measuring points, Source: forum64.de

Blue = GND
Red = +5V
Yellow = +12V











Nope, the input voltages are OK! Next it is a good idea to visit The Pictorial C64 Fault Guide to visually localize the error. So in my case it was hard to find a similar image, but after some research the best candidates are:

  • PLA (U17)
  • VIC II (U19)

If you don't have working spare parts but an Arduino Uno there are a nice collection of test programs available (C64 Test Tools from jamarju).

Suddenly the PLA was not socketed and therefor I had to desolder it first to be able to run the Arduino Test (with breadboard) YouTube Video of the setup 
(don't forget to connect the /CE pin of PLA to Ground)

Note: Take the chance and solder in a socket.

So, PLA was also OK. Next I tried to remove the VIC II chip and put it into a working board; Voila, same error. So I finally found the faulty IC ;-)

Ordered a new VIC II (MOS 6569R3) and now everything works like a charm!

Conclusion: 

Find the error in this way was quite hard, so for the future I will use a test kit (e.g. Harness from Sven Peterson in combination with deadtest and diagnostic cartridge)






Kommentare

Beliebte Posts aus diesem Blog

Wifi for the C64 (Turbo56K Modem)

Altair 8800c Build

Amiga 1000 PSU recap